Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your home, being comfortable in your new space year-round is important. However, they can create a unique challenge for heating and cooling. This is due to the fact adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the heightened load, since it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable solutions is to install a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Learn more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition can be a fantastic fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, because they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they move heat to make your space comfier. In reality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for added rebates and decrease your heating and cooling expenses for many years.
Another exclusive feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Since each room often has its own indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is very useful if you have a space with special temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s wiser than adding ductwork and using your present heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the total cost will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your house in advance of the addition. This could overwork your system and make it wear out more quickly.
- Your comfort may be impacted. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort might be reduced if your system is forced to take care of a wider location. Your heating and cooling could be less powerful, and your utility bills may skyrocket since the system needs to turn on more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Air Engineers Service Experts, we’ll help you choose the right size for your new area. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate sizable energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when routinely tuned up. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Air Engineers Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you select the recommended model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Air Engineers Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 904-450-5672 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.