When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair expert to check your system afterwards, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At Air Engineers Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to return out of your home, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Air Engineers Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Jacksonville, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in Jacksonville or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 904-450-5672 or schedule an appointment with Air Engineers Service Experts through our online scheduler.