Reasons to Schedule Annual Furnace Maintenance
As the temperature drops and you find yourself reaching for the thermostat more and more, you should also reach for your phone to arrange annual furnace maintenance. Being sure that your furnace is at its best this winter increases your comfort, safety and peace of mind all season long.
Here’s a closer look at what this crucial annual task involves and why you shouldn’t neglect it.
What Is Done During Routine Furnace Maintenance?
A maintenance call is an easy way to get your heating system ready for the cold months. Although the exact tasks depend on the design and age of your unit, you can usually expect your technician to perform the following:
- Inspect and clean the burner: In time, dirt and debris can obstruct the burner, affecting its performance. Cleaning it restores ideal heat transfer.
- Test the gas valves: Making sure these valves are fully open and working correctly is crucial for safe furnace operation.
- Look over the heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can cause carbon monoxide leaks, so it’s essential to ensure no cracks are present.
- Assess and tighten electrical components: Loose connections can make your system unsafe and inefficient. Fortunately, tightening them is a fast and easy process.
- Clean the blower: A grimy blower impacts your furnace’s ability to move warm air throughout your home. Cleaning and balancing the fan makes certain that your home has optimal airflow.
- Replace the air filter: Clean air filters enable proper airflow throughout your system, which is why you should always replace a dirty air filter in your furnace. Installing a clean, new air filter also increases indoor air quality if you choose an effective filtration system.
Reasons to Schedule Routine Furnace Maintenance
If your furnace seems to be running fine, is it still useful to set up a maintenance tune-up? Consider these four reasons why the answer is a resounding “yes”:
- Decrease mid-season malfunctions: There are few more disheartening ways to start the day than waking up on a chilly winter morning to find your furnace has stopped working. Unexpected breakdowns are stressful and can leave you scrambling to find a repairman. Annual furnace maintenance reduces the likelihood of unexpected difficulties because your heating specialist examines every part of your system, catching minor issues before they escalate into costly repairs.
- Lower repair costs: It’s a simple equation—the quicker you catch a problem, the less expensive it is to repair. By investing in reasonably priced, planned maintenance visits, you can avoid costly, inconvenient repairs, keeping more money in your pocket.
- Increase your furnace’s life expectancy: Like a well-maintained car, a furnace that receives regular tune-ups will probably last longer than an ignored heating system. Annual maintenance helps you avoid the expense of premature furnace replacement by adding years to your system’s life span.
- Increase energy efficiency: A well-maintained heating system works a lot more efficiently. When all the components are clean and in good working order, your system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your household comfortable. This reduces your heating bills and diminishes your environmental impact.
- Healthier indoor air quality: Polluted indoor air aggravates allergies and respiratory diseases. The air filter in your furnace catches dust, pollen and other airborne contaminants to reduce these issues. During a maintenance tune-up, the technician will change the air filter at your request, ensuring cleaner air flows through your home.
- Promotes safety: A failing furnace is not only inefficient, it also could be dangerous. Cracked heat exchangers or broken gas valves can cause dangerous carbon monoxide leaks. Knowing your system has been inspected for any possible safety issues should give you a secure feeling this winter.
What Season Should You Set up Your Maintenance Visit?
To enjoy the most benefits, it’s best to plan annual furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill gets to your area. This ensures that any issues are resolved before you need to rely heavily on your heating system.
At-Home Furnace Maintenance Between Appointments
While professional maintenance is essential, you can do several tasks yourself to make sure your furnace operates smoothly between visits:
- Change the air filter every 30 to 90 days to increase airflow.
- Keep all return and supply registers open and unblocked for system balance.
- Vacuum the outside of the furnace with the brush attachment so it is clean.
Choose Sunbeam Service Experts for Furnace Maintenance in Buffalo
If it’s time for your next furnace maintenance visit, Sunbeam Service Experts is an HVAC company you can rely on. Our ACE-certified technicians provide fast, long-lasting solutions to all your comfort dilemmas. We’re proud to deliver solutions to our customers and are dedicated to making a big difference in your lifestyle and sense of comfort. We even offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can feel even more comfortable. To set your heating system up for success this winter, call 716-427-6807 today to schedule furnace maintenance with Sunbeam Service Experts.
Eight Common Heating Myths Debunked
There are plenty of myths out there about home heating that cause confusion and inefficient furnace operation. It’s time to get the facts out there. Here, the heating authorities at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing reveal the truth behind the eight most common myths to keep... Continue reading
How to Choose a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more essential than picking out the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This decision affects your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and overall home efficiency. Then again, with so many system... Continue reading
Year-End HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Now that the air turns chilly, you know it’s time to get your home ready for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is critical to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace supplies the comfort you want while using a smaller amount of energy. Regular inspections also make... Continue reading