Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter
Each year over 20,000 people visit the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is put off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is here with a couple tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Put in a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries annually.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a distance over three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to verify the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Turn off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like porcelain tile. Keep kids and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned yearly.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to make sure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 866-397-3787 today and learn how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.
Eight Common Heating Myths Debunked
There are plenty of myths out there about home heating that cause confusion and inefficient furnace operation. It’s time to get the facts out there. Here, the heating authorities at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing reveal the truth behind the eight most common myths to keep... Continue reading
How to Choose a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more essential than picking out the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This decision affects your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and overall home efficiency. Then again, with so many system... Continue reading
Year-End HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Now that the air turns chilly, you know it’s time to get your home ready for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is critical to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace supplies the comfort you want while using a smaller amount of energy. Regular inspections also make... Continue reading