All About Mini-Split Air Conditioners: What They Are and How They Cool
Most homeowners are most familiar with central air conditioners.
Mini-split systems are a type of ductless heating and cooling. Instead of providing conditioned air to the complete home via a network of air ducts, they heat and cool one room at a time. This allows more direct temperature control, improving comfort and energy efficiency.
How Do Mini-Split Air Conditioners Work?
Mini-splits are most like heat pumps in the way they run. Both styles of equipment provide electric cooling, just like an air conditioner. This uses refrigerant to extract heat from within a building and exhausting that warm air outside. Then, a reversing valve permits the system to operate backward, heating your house in the winter by pulling heat from outdoor air and depositing it inside.
The biggest difference between mini-splits and heat pumps is that mini-split systems don’t have to have ductwork. Alternatively, the indoor unit has a built-in air handler, which is installed on the wall or ceiling in the space you are looking to heat and cool. Copper tubes, wiring and a condensate drain line join to an outdoor condensing unit through a small conduit in the wall. This exterior component looks similar to an air conditioner or heat pump condenser.
More than one indoor unit can link to an individual outdoor condenser, allowing you to heat and cool your complete house with this system if desired. This configuration also makes zoning practical, a highly attractive feature that permits you to customize when, where and how much you heat and cool distinct rooms.
Is a Ductless Mini-Split Right for My Residence?
Mini-splits are an excellent solution for the majority of households. Think about these reasons why installing a ductless mini-split may be right for your home:
- You can heat and cool an entire residence that doesn’t have existing ductwork.
- You’ll be able to switch off the heat and air conditioning in empty areas to save on your utility expenses.
- Mini-splits deliver supplementary heating and cooling for spaces that are hard to keep cozy.
- Use a ductless system to heat and cool a home addition or enclosed patio without the cost of adding ductwork or the hassle of using window AC units.
- Mini split systems are the perfect choice for spaces where traditional ducts is impractical. A few examples are historic homes, tiny homes, temperature controlled sheds or workshops, or garage conversions.
What are the Perks of a Mini-Split System?
Ductless mini-splits are highly efficient systems, but you may still be considering why you would want to choose it over a common furnace and air conditioner. Here’s why more the U.S. homeowners are using ductless mini-splits:
- Avoid the drawbacks of ductwork: By providing heated and cooled air directly, air doesn’t pass through cracked air ducts on its way to each room. This can save you upward of 30 percent on your heating and cooling expenses. Plus, if your residence doesn’t already use ducts, you avoid the annoyance and cost associated with putting them in.
- Find the ideal temperature for every room: With zoned heating and cooling from a ductless mini-split, you can keep an office refreshing while maintaining a warm nursery—all while optimizing energy efficiency.
- Save money and energy by not heating and cooling empty areas: Closing supply registers in a central HVAC system can throw it off balance, putting strain on the equipment and invalidating any likely savings. But with individual air handlers in every room, you can heat and cool specific rooms only when you need them.
Depend on Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing to Add Your Mini-Split Air Conditioner
As with regular HVAC systems, ductless mini-splits call for meticulous sizing and Expert installation to provide the best performance. Our experienced mini split installers in the U.S. can help you decide if a mini-split system will meet your needs. We can then help you with figuring out the exact equipment size and model to make your house as comfortable and energy-efficient as possible.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment, call Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing at 866-397-3787. You can also schedule an appointment online.
How to Choose a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more essential than picking out the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This decision affects your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and overall home efficiency. Then again, with so many system... Continue reading
Year-End HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Now that the air turns chilly, you know it’s time to get your home ready for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is critical to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace supplies the comfort you want while using a smaller amount of energy. Regular inspections also make... Continue reading
2024 Furnace and Air Conditioning Trends
In the ever-evolving world of home HVAC, keeping up with the latest HVAC trends is crucial for homeowners who want to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. As we move into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing new technologies and trends aimed at changing how residents... Continue reading